Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Veggie Pesto Pasta

It's been a long time since I posted a recipe. I've been in a cooking slump and making pretty much the same thing every week. Deciding to breakaway from the mundane and try something different, I chose to recreate one of my favorite frozen dinner meals. It is also a ONE POT MEAL!

Healthy Choice has a line of steamer products that I usually buy and use on those days that I don't have a homemade lunch. One of my absolute faves is their Pesto Pasta which comes with chicken, zucchini, squash, and spinach. Here's my spin:

Ingredients:
2 zucchini, sliced into bite size pieces
2 yellow squash, sliced into bite size pieces
1 box mini farfalle
1 small jar basil pesto
1/4 small onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, diced (more if you like)
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup milk or half & half
1/2 cup parmesan
1/4 cup parsley (dry or fresh)
salt and pepper to taste

Recipe:
1. Boil pasta according to box directions. While pasta is boiling, cut veggies. Reserve a cup of pasta water.
2. Drain pasta and set aside.
3. Using the same pot (sans pasta), add olive oil, zucchini, squash, and onion. Saute until veggies have sweat a bit. Salt and pepper the veggies for taste.
4. Add garlic, and pesto. Let cook for a minute or two.
5. Add half a cup of the pasta water to loosen the pesto a bit. (You can also sub the pasta water for chicken broth or wine if you so choose).
6. Add milk and let cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
7. Add parmesan, parsley, and pasta. Toss. Serve.

And there you have it folks! A quick and easy one pot meal that is also quite versatile. What I also love about this meal is the price. All together, I spent under $10 and made enough to feed my family for dinner + leftovers for 2 days worth of lunches. If I had grilled some chicken and added that, I'm sure I could've stretched this meal even further! I hope you give it a try and if you change it up, let me know! I'd love to hear how creative you get with this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment