Thursday, May 19, 2016

Book Review: Velvet by Temple West


"You’re cute when you do that,” he called to me. 
“When I do what?” 
“Turn in a circle like that. It’s kind of penguin-y.” 
“Great,” I called back. “Just what every girl dreams of being told by their inhumanly attractive, immortal vampire protector: they look kind of ‘penguin-y." 

Seventeen year old, and aspiring fashion designer, Caitlin has had her life turned upside down. After losing her parents, and being forced to relocate with her aunt, Caitlin meets Adrian. He is tall, dark, handsome, and a demon vampire. After saving her
from another supernatural encounter, Adrian and Caitlin start a friendship. When an outside force makes itself known as a danger to Caitlin, Adrian steps up as bodyguard and faux boyfriend to help protect his new found friend. But are they really friends or is their faux relationship turning into something more tangible?

 I read this book because of one recommendation via Goodreads. I was told this was like The Lux series which is a great YA alien romance series that I loved. Velvet was not like The Lux at all. It was very Twilighty and coming from me, that's an insult. There was some comedy and family situations that I enjoyed but I just felt Velvet lacked altogether as a complete novel. I loved how strong Caitlin seemed to be and thought she'd be one of those kickass female characters but of course she had her weak points. Adrian seemed too good to be true with no real flaws. Character development was really lacking and I kept hoping for more. And then there's the end. I thought I had at least 20 more pages left to go in this book when all of a sudden it ended in a cliff hanger. The last 18 pages or so were excerpts for other novels and ads for other novels. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper.

While this was not a book for me and I doubt they will get me to read the rest in the series (yes this is a series), I am sure there are some out there that will enjoy this. Namely teen girls and lovers of the Twilight series. Velvet was just not for me.

Want more books like Velvet? Check out these Read-a-Likes!

No comments:

Post a Comment