Thursday, April 7, 2016

Char Siu Ribs

My brother in law is Hawaiian and I've been one lucky girl to experience Asian cuisine through him
. I've learned to appreciate different methods of Cantonese/Korean/Japanese etc cooking. We've been talking a lot lately about trying out our own recipes for Char Siu pork. For those that don't know what Char Siu Pork is, I'll fill you in! Have you ever ordered pork fried rice at a Chinese restaurant or their small ribs? If so, you'll see the pork has a sweet element to it and it's tinted a shade of pinkish-purple-red. When I looked it up, I read that Char Siu is a way of flavoring and preparing barbecue.

I don't normally eat pork but I love me some char siu ribs so of course I had to give these a try. I recently looked on pinterest and found a relatively easy oven baked recipe. I sent the recipe over to my brother in law and he said all the ingredients sounded right. After making sure I already had the ingredients in my kitchen and went to cooking!

The recipe I found was courtesy of A Fork and A Pencil. Of course, I tweaked it a bit so here is my recipe:

Ingredients: 
1 rack of pork ribs
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ginger

Directions: 
1. Measure all ingredients in a resealable plastic bag (a huge one).
2. Add ribs, seal and roll around to coat ribs in marinade.
3. Marinade at least 3 hours, overnight is best.
4. Preheat oven to 425.
5. Remove ribs from marinade (keep the marinade) and place on a cooking sheet. Cover with foil and throw it in the oven.
6. Cook for 30 minutes and remove from oven.
7. Lower oven to 325, and remove foil from cooking sheet.
8. Baste with leftover marinade and cook for another 45 minutes, remembering to baste every 10 minutes.
9. Serve!

This was a very simple recipe and it tasted ohhhh so delicious! I was afraid the meat was over cooked but it was perfectly cooked. I felt it could've been a touch sweeter but the flavors were all there. I think I will try to BBQ them next to get that hint of smokiness. My brother in law also loved these! He took the whole rack home and gobbled it up (I heard). I'd say this cook did a great job.

If you're looking for a new spin on ribs and don't want to fire up the grill, I highly suggest you try these. While they were in the oven, I made all the fixins for it (mashed potatoes, corn, etc). It was super simple and I was able to do it with a fussy toddler around me! I hope you try it and if you do, please let me know. I'd love to hear if you made any changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment