Friday, April 1, 2016

Book Review: I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells

"'APD is primarily defined as a lack of empathy,' I said. I'd looked it up too, a few months ago. Empathy is what allows people to interpret emotion the same way ears interpret sounds; without it you become emotionally deaf.
'It means I don't connect emotionally with other people.'
'How do you even know that?' she said. 'You're fifteen years old, for goodness' sake. You should be...I don't know, chasing girls or playing video games.'
'You're telling a sociopath to chase girls?'"

Dan Wells' I Am Not a Serial Killer is about teenager John Wayne Cleaver. John is a clinically deemed sociopath and has always been fascinated by things most people consider wrong, namely serial killers. Everything about John screams future serial killer and he knows it. In the first of a trilogy, John comes face to face with his fears when a serial killer is found in his town.

I Am Not a Serial Killer was the first in a new horror genre (that I've read) that explores sociopaths and serial killers. I see a lot of situations in black and white so for me it was very innovative to explore the very gray world of John Cleaver as he attempts to fend off every instinct in order to avoid becoming a serial killer. I believe you will enjoy the characters, namely John Cleaver, as much as I did. He's so dang cocky yet he's got this heart of gold that made me keep rooting for him! His struggles are fascinating and the story itself is amazingly well written. Dan Wells is just a master with this series and I could just see this being turned into a movie (which it is).

I don't want to giveaway too much but I will say this. If you're looking for a good horror with a touch of mystery, I Am Not a Serial Killer is definitely the book for you. And don't forget to check out the rest of the trilogy: Mr. Monster and I Don't Want to Kill You. Dan Wells has also released an additional trilogy in the John Cleaver series (The Devil's Only Friend, Over Your Dead Body, and third title to be determined ) and I'm just waiting for them to come in so I can get to reading. I hope you enjoy I Am Not a Serial Killer as much as I did. If you have a recommendation, please contact me!

Want more books like I Am Not a Serial Killer? Check out these read-a-likes!


2 comments:

  1. OOH. This sounds so interesting, I have I Hunt Killers on my TBR pile. . . Haven't read any Dan Wells but wanted to read Partials. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! I loved I Hunt Killers. I am also going to get around to reading the Partials series. It seems very very interesting!

      Delete