Thursday, March 17, 2016

Flautas, Spanish Rice, and Black Beans

This past weekend I decided to go all out with my menu. I made (from scratch) Baked & Fried Flautas, Spanish Rice, Black Beans, and Guacamole. I knew my toddler could eat everything here so I made a big ole batch of everything! Before I start on recipes, I'm going to warn you that the flautas recipe will look long and difficult. I promise you it is easier than it sounds. If you find you don't want to try it, just sub another meat dish for this. Fajitas are great too and I have a recipe on my Recipes Page. Alrighty...onto the new recipes!

Baked & Fried Flautas:
Ingredients
4 lbs chicken (breasts or thighs, whatever you choose)
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon coriander seed or 2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 large onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves, smashed
stems of cilantro (save the tops for later)
*you can add or remove spices*

Directions:
1. Take all items and dump it into a BIG pot. Fill pot with water so that the meat is fully submerged.
2. Bring to a boil and lower to simmer. Cook for about 30-45 minutes until all chicken is cooked through. Let cool.
3. Once cooled, remove chicken. Leave pot of water (you just made homemade chicken stock! save it for later!).
4. Shred chicken. This is where you need to taste the chicken and make sure it's seasoned. If it appears under-seasoned, feel free to add teaspoons of the above dry seasonings (use dry garlic/onion powder) or you can add teaspoons of taco seasoning. Make sure you taste it each time and it's to your liking!
----For the next steps, you'll need a big frying pan with about a cup and a half of veggie oil in it. You'll also need corn tortillas, and a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.  
5. Warm corn tortillas. Preheat oven to 350.
6. Take a spoonful of shredded chicken and place it on the edge of your tortilla. Roll the tortilla so that it looks like a cigar.
7. Fill your baking dish with flautas with the seam side down. Spray tops with cooking spray.
8. Bake flautas for 10-15 minutes being sure to check on it every couple minutes or so (to prevent burning).
9. Roll the rest of the flautas and put them to the side.
10. Heat frying pan to medium high heat. Test heat to make sure items will fry.
11. Drop a couple flautas in seam side down. Let fry for a couple minutes.
12. Rotate so that all sides of the tortilla fries up. Place on napkin to drain some of the oil. *Note: It's best to use tongs here. They help with rotating the flautas and with taking them out/putting them in the hot oil. 
13. Serve.

Black Beans:
Ingredients
1 15 oz can black beans, drain half of the liquid out the can
1 4oz can diced green chiles or tomatoes with diced green chiles
1/4 cup onion diced
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 gloves garlic diced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil and lower to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Serve.

Spanish Rice: 
Ingredients:
1 cup long grain white rice
1 can peeled stewed tomatoes
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tablespoon cumin
2 cups liquid (you can use the broth you made earlier here!)
salt and pepper to taste
*add more spice here if you'd like as well*

Directions:
1. In a large skillet or pot, toast rice in a bit of oil.
2. Add onion, garlic, green bell pepper, and stewed tomatoes (with juice). Cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover pot and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is all cooked and liquid is gone.

I guarantee you are going to love, love, love this meal! It's on the labor intensive side as far as steps go, but it was super simple to make. I had the chicken cooking while I made the black beans and spanish rice. When those finished, I was able to focus on the flautas. When those came out of the oven, I made the guacamole and called it a day! If you feel daunted, just try one of the dishes. I had to build up to this meal so I completely get why you'd want to!

Also, you'll notice I didn't post my recipe for Guacamole here. That's because it's on a previous blog post but you can find it on my Recipes Page.

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this! I like the all the seasoning for the chicken. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was delicious! Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete