Monday, March 21, 2016

1,000 Books Before Kindergarten


As an avid book lover, it should come as no surprise that I want to instill that same love of books to my daughter. I want her to grow up with such a passion for books, as I grew up. That being said, I decided to start her on the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program. I know that seems daunting. 1,000 books?! Trust me, it really isn't that bad. Before I go into all of that, let me give you some info on the program. 


photo courtesy of Harris County Public Library
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a DIY program. You don't have to enroll with anyone or a school or library. It's just something you choose to do at home. Of course, if you are interested in signing up with a program, check out 1,000 Books FIND A PROGRAM page. The task is simple; read a book to your child, and keep track of the number of books read. If your child likes one book and you read it twenty times, count it as twenty books read!

Sounds easy right? It really is. For me, the hard part is keeping up with the books but luckily there are reading logs provided by 1,000 Books' website as well as my local library which actually advertises 1,001 books before Kindergarten!

Why do this? Easy. It's a great bonding experience for you and your kids. Also, reading helps improve vocabulary. And the best reason of all, reading is fun! You'll come to find that kids have some of the silliest books out there to read. Oh and for the teeny tiny babies, a lot of their books barely have words in it.

I urge you to try it out. If it's not your thing, at least you tried. I hope it turns out to be your thing though. We started when my daughter was about 2 months old and she's close to having 200 books read already.

As always, please give me feedback if you decide to try. I'd love to hear what you do and what your experience is!

No comments:

Post a Comment