Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Toddler Meal: Chicken with Sweet Potato Fries

As you all know by now, I'm an avid cook. I love all things food and am determined to pass that passion on to my daughter. Since she started on actual food at 3 months, I have been cranking out home cooked meals for her. What I like to do is make a couple different items and mix them up for the week. This week, she had Paprika Chicken, Sweet Potato Fries, Green Beans, and Rice a Roni. The Rice a Roni was for me because I had a craving but I shared with my baby. Here go the recipes! 

Paprika Chicken: 
1 package chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
1 quarter onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons Adobo seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 
4 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon veggie oil

Directions: 
1. In a skillet on medium high heat, add veggie oil and onion. Saute until golden brown. 
2. Add garlic. Saute until you can smell the garlic. 
3. Add chicken and all of the spices. 
4. Cook for 5-10 minutes until all chicken is cooked through.

Sweet Potato Fries: 
2 sweet potatoes, cut into thin slices
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt or Adobo seasoning
cooking spray

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. On a baking sheet, lay out fries and sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
3. Spray with cooking spray and mix it all together. 
4. Bake until edges start to get golden brown, about 30 minutes. 

Green Beans: 
1 pound fresh green beans, tips removed and cut in half
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon veggie oil

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Place green beans on baking sheet. 
3. Add spices and veggie oil. Mix until all green beans are coated. 
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until green beans start to get color on them. 

Rice A Roni:
Follow the box. :) 

As you can tell, this meal was easy peasy. I love to do all my chopping beforehand so while I had the veggies in the oven, I cooked the chicken and rice a roni on the stovetop. I would say my whole meal was done in an hour (including prep time). This made a lot of food so I individually packed up her meals and stored a couple containers in the fridge and the rest went into the freezer. 

If you think that you can't do this, throw that thought out the window! I work full time and I have a total of a 2 hour commute daily. I do all of my cooking on Sundays when I'm off and everything I've made has frozen pretty well! It's tough but so doable. 

Friendly hint, if you think your food is under-seasoned, feel free to add more spices. My daughter doesn't like things overly spiced so I try to accommodate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment