Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Super Bowl 50: Dessert

Let me start this post off by stating that my family did not want me to cook for Super Bowl 50. I know, I know. I was shocked at the prospect too but I admit it was nice not having to worry about creating a huge meal for everyone as well as dessert. That being said, I made a cheesecake because I still felt the need to cook. :) 
The recipe I have for an original cheesecake is actually a copycat recipe of the Cheesecake Factory recipe from Top Secret Recipes. I've used it for years and it's extremely delicious! I linked the original recipe but here's mine with a couple tweaks.  

Original Cheesecake: 
Ingredients: 
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter
4 8 oz packages of cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
5 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Mix graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, and butter until combined. 
2. Place crust in spring form pan. Push the crust into the bottom of the pan and allow for some to come up the sides. Place pan in freezer while you make the filling. 
3. Preheat oven to 325. In a medium saucepan, boil about 4-5 cups water. 
4. In a big mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and sour cream. 
5. Add sugar and vanilla and mix. 
6. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. 
7. Remove crust from freezer and pour filling into pan. 

To make the cheesecake, you will need to bake it in a water bath. To do this, you will need a bigger roasting pan. Make sure the pan is big enough to fit the cheesecake pan. 

8. Place cheesecake in roasting pan. Add water to pan (not on cheesecake). Make sure it comes up to about halfway up the cheesecake pan. 
9. Bake for 45 min to an hour or until lightly golden brown on top. 
10. Remove from oven (CAREFULLY) as not to spill any water. Once water cools, you can remove cheesecake and refrigerate for at least 6 hrs (personally I let it set overnight). 

This will assuredly produce a delicious cheesecake! The original recipe includes a topping which I do not use. Feel free to use it though or create your own topping. You can see from the picture that I added chocolate sauce to my slice as well as some fruit. It was the Super Bowl after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment