Monday, February 15, 2016

Red Wine Chocolate Cake

I recently saw this delicious recipe for a chocolate cake with red wine in it from Tasty. From the ingredients, it's your basic chocolate cake minus milk/water. Instead, you add red wine! Yummmy!

Red Wine Chocolate Cake: 



Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks  unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cup dry red wine

Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugars until whipped.
4. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until blended.
5. Add dry ingredients in small batches.
6. Add half of wine and mix. Add other half of wine and mix until all ingredients are well blended.
7. Pour in a greased pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes.

Now the recipe and accompanying video add a red wine chocolate glaze which I chose not to do. Since we were close to Valentine's Day, I decided to make a red wine, strawberry & chocolate sauce. Here's the recipe:

Red Wine, Strawberry, and Chocolate Sauce:
Ingredients:
10 strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Recipe:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring red wine and strawberries to a boil.
2. Add sugar and reduce heat to simmer. Let cook for 20 minutes or until strawberries start breaking down (mixing occassionally).
3. Add chocolate chips and stir until chocolate is melted. Sauce is ready to serve!
Note: If you want to strain the sauce to remove any strawberry pieces, you can. You can also puree the sauce so that it's smoother. I chose to do neither since I wanted the texture of the strawberries.

To put this all together, you just take your cake out of the pan (if you want) and spoon the chocolate sauce over the cake. I refrigerated my cake overnight because it was to be served to my friends the next day. You can serve the cake right away though. I'm sure it would've been absolutely heavenly right out of the oven!

The Tasty video showed the cake in a bundt form and I followed suit although bundts and I have never had a great relationship. When I was ready to remove my cake, it fell apart (which is pictured to the left). I was so heartbroken but quickly thought on my feet! I formed my cake into the bundt form (as best as I can) and placed all the crumbs into the center. I then spooned my sauce all over the cake. It looked okay but as you can see from the above picture, that wasn't good enough. I quickly made some chocolate covered strawberries and placed those suckers on top of my cake. It was not the prettiest of cakes but it was definitely the most delicious! Next time, I'll just leave the cake in the pan though!

If you're on Facebook, like Tasty for more recipes. My friends and I have made more dishes from this site than cookbooks lately!


No comments:

Post a Comment