Monday, February 1, 2016

National Chocolate Cake Day

Last Wednesday, January 27th was National Chocolate Cake Day. A coworker of mine informed me on Tuesday and so I only had a couple hours to think of what I wanted to do. I had to celebrate this because I am a certified chocoholic. As I drove home, I thought about those chocolate cupcakes I made during Halloween. The recipe was very simple and the only change I'd have to make was putting it into a cake pan as opposed to cupcakes. I also decided to add some chocolate chips to the cake batter just to add more chocolate to it. (For the chocolate cake recipe: click here.)

When the cake came out of the oven, I realized I had no icing for it. I couldn't very well serve a naked cake to my coworkers. After browsing my cabinet a bit, I remembered I still had lots of chocolate chips left (I buy in bulk). I decided a quick ganache would do the trick. For those that have never attempted a ganache, it is a very simple chocolate icing. It can also be the base for a chocolate truffle.

Chocolate Ganache: 
12 oz chocolate chips (milk, dark, semi sweet. you choose which chocolate you prefer)
2 tbs milk (you may need more)

1. Place chocolate chips and milk in a mixing bowl.
2. Using either a double boiler or microwave, warm until chips are semi melted. Stir to combine milk. The consistency of your ganache should look something like the picture to the left. You want it to be the consistency of syrup; not too thick and not too thin.

Once you make the ganache, let your cake cool a bit and then pour the ganache all over the cake. Put the cake in the fridge overnight. The chocolate should firm up a bit so that you can still cut through the cake. It's as easy as that!

Now, I forgot to take a picture of my delicious treat before it was cut into....so I snapped a picture of the aftermath....

As you can see, everyone loved the cake. It didn't last long in the breakroom. Hope you get a chance to try this recipe out. If so, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It definitely is! I've made this recipe a couple times now and my coworkers and family can't get enough! I'm looking forward to hearing if you try any of the recipes! Thanks so much for your kind words!

      Delete