Friday, February 12, 2016

Book Review: Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers

When I was pregnant, the first thing I feared was not the fact that I'd be going into labor (although that did frighten me a lot) but the fact that I'd be raising a child in an age where everyone has something digital on them. From cell phones to tablets to watches, being digital has become a way of life. So for me, the biggest fear was raising a child who would become so dependent on technology that she forgot to use her brain.

Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers by Lucy Palladino speaks to parents like me who are worried about technology and raising kids in this digitized world. Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers talks about the different types of attention spans we all have and how activities guide our attention. It also discusses which types of attention(s) are most useful for school and various other activities. For me, that's what counted. I needed to differentiate the type of attention my daughter would soon be devoting to school work vs TV or play time. I needed to understand that I don't have to take away technology in order to raise a well rounded child within a digital society.

I highly encourage any and all parents to read Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers by Lucy Palladino even if you aren't worried about technology. They offer a lot of problem solving strategies that are really helpful. Parenting is such a hard job and it's great to have resources like this to help us do the absolute best for our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment