Friday, January 8, 2016

Week 17: Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans

This past weekend we played the Jacksonville Jaguars and WON! That means we are in the playoffs and let me tell you that this Texans fan is excited! We definitely deviated from our original plan of eating foods local to each city we play but we will try again next year.

This week my sister made her delicious spinach tomato tortellini dish. She got the recipe from Allrecipes.com and here it is:

Ingredients:
1 package cheese tortellini
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Add tortellini to a pot of boiling salted water. Cook about 10 minutes.
2. As tortellini cooks, combine tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until mixture starts to bubble.
3. Whisk together flour, milk, cream in a medium bowl.
4. Add mixture to saucepan with Parmesan cheese.
5. Drain tortellini and pour into saucepan. Stir to coat and serve.

Very simple right? The only additions my sister made was she added about 1/4 of a small onion diced to the mix. By the recipe, you can see this is a vegetarian dish. My sister decided to saute some chicken in a separate pan for those that wanted meat, which of course I did. The chicken was cut into bite size pieces and you can season it however you want. I say garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and some Mrs. Dash should do ya.

All in all it is a very easy and delicious dish! I ask her to make it all the time. Now that I have the recipe, I can do it all my own and maybe add some tweaks to it.

Next week, we are ordering wings but I'll be sure to make something for y'all! Go Texans!

No comments:

Post a Comment