Thursday, December 10, 2015

Week 10: Houston Texans @ Cincinnati Bengals


The week we played Cincinnati, I planned on making Cincinnati Chili. Unfortunately, I fell sick and didn't make it to the store. I rummaged through my fridge and freezer and found that I had everything to make a tortilla soup (what I call a tortilla soup) so that's what was on the menu! Here's the recipe:

Last Minute Tortilla Soup
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1 large russet potato peeled and cubed
2-3 cups water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons dry parsley
1 tablespoon season salt
1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning (your choice and optional)
salt and black pepper to taste
cilantro for garnish

Recipe:
1. In a big saucepot, brown chicken. Remove.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Add potato and let cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add spices & tomato paste and let cook for about 1 minute.
4. Add tomato sauce, chicken, corn, and black beans. Cover with water. Let cook for about 20 minutes.
5. Check to see if potatoes are soft. Add cilantro. Dish is done at this point. You can top with cheese or chips or avocados or whatever you want and serve.

Now this was a very quick and easy recipe as you can tell. You can tweak it however you like. Because I was in the mood for chili, I added a lot of flavors that I would normally put in chili so it did have those same flavor elements which I loved! I made a huge pot of this and froze it so that I'd always have soup if I needed it. I didn't have tortilla chips so I subbed with fritos...don't judge me. Another thing you could do with this soup is change up the meats. You could brown up sausage or even beef and use that if you wanted. It's delicious and would adapt to it all very well! We did beat Cincinnati and it was such a great victory as they were undefeated until they met us!


No comments:

Post a Comment