Friday, December 18, 2015

Week 14: New England Patriots vs Houston Texans

Oh this was a game we all waited for. I know for myself, I just knew we had to win this one. They flexed us to Sunday night and we were playing the Patriots. We had to show the world that we could win against these guys....

If you watched the game, you already know that not only did we lose, we looked extremely horrible out there! I had the displeasure of watching this game Monday night after work because I had concert tickets to see The Weeknd the night before.

Because my night was going to be busy, I spent most of my day in the kitchen. It's close to Christmas time and I decided to share my base Christmas cookie platter with you all. Every year I make Christmas cookies/bars and deliver them to my friends and family. As I'm a new mom and can't really do as much as I'd like, I stuck to one cookie, a brownie, and a bar. Here goes the recipes!

Brownies: 
This was a total cheat as I made box brownies. I never make homemade because Ghiradelli has these fab brownie mixes that just make the best brownies I've ever had. You really must try them! To make these my own, I did make the icing from scratch.

Brownie Icing: (to be made while brownies are cooling)
1 stick unsalted butter, softed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar, you might need more or less.

Recipe:
1. In a medium size bowl using a mixer, mix butter until lightly whipped.
2. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla and mix.
3. Add  1/4 cup heavy cream and 1 more cup of powdered sugar and mix. This is where you want to eye ball the rest of the recipe. Mix until the consistency of the icing is thicker than whipped cream. If it's too loose, add powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add more cream.
4. Once the icing is ready and the brownies are cooled completely, spread all of icing over brownies. Sprinkle with red and green sprinkles. Place in fridge to cool and let icing harden up a bit.
5. Cut brownies and serve at room temp.

Cookie Bars
Ingredients:
1 box graham crackers, crushed
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup red and green M&Ms

Recipe:
1. Spray shallow baking dish with vegetable spray.
2. Mix graham crackers with melted butter. Pour in baking dish in an even layer.
3. Pour condensed milk over graham crackers.
4. Add chocolate chips, coconut, and M&Ms.
5. Bake in a 325 degree oven until coconut flakes are toasted on the edges. Let cool and cut. Serve.

Reindeer Cookies:
Ingredients:
1 package Peanut Butter Cookie mix made per instructions on box
2. chocolate chips
3. red M&Ms
4. small pretzels

Recipe:
1. On a baking sheet place about 6-8 small spoonfuls of peanut butter cookie mix with enough room to spread while cooking.
2. Shape into an oval and tuck in the sides so that cookies look like the outline of the number 8.
3. Place two pretzels on the top of the cookie for the "antlers"
4. Place chocolate chips as eyes and 1 red M&M as the "rudolph" nose.
5. Continue until baking sheet has enough cookies to bake. Bake at 350 until cookies are a golden brown.
6. Repeat until dough is finished. Serve warm or at room temp.

There you have it! My family told me they loved these sweet treats that I left. It helped them get through what was a very horrible game.

A couple tips for you....
-If your kid is allergic to peanuts, use a sugar cookie recipe or even a chocolate chip cookie recipe minus the chips. I only use peanut butter cookies because the color lends itself to the reindeer skin tone.
-With the cookie bars, you can mix and match whatever type of toppings you want. I happen to like the look of the coconut as snow and the texture of the M&Ms. Feel free to get creative!
-Have fun while making these! They are perfect for any holiday gathering you have and I promise people will ask you for them every year afterwards!

Merry Christmas Y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment