Well this week Tampa Bay came on by and we decided to focus on dessert! I consulted a friend who lived in Tampa Bay for a number of years and asked about desserts that were local to Tampa Bay. We couldn't really come up with anything special but she did tell me that Plant City, which is nearby, is known for their strawberries. That I could take and run with!
After doing a bit of research, I found this recipe for a chocolate strawberry oasis pie on loveandoliveoil.com. The picture looked promising and the recipe seemed pretty easy so I decided that this was what we were having for dessert on Sunday!
Chocolate Strawberry Oasis Pie:
Vegetable oil spray
6 tbs unsalted butter
1 oz chocolate
7 oz chocolate cookies (about 30)
1 pint strawberries
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large egg yolks
6 oz chocolate
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1. Lightly spray 9 inch pie pan with veggie spray.
2. Place butter and chopped chocolate in microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth.
3. Finely grind cookies in a food processor.
4. Add chocolate mixture and process until crumbs are evenly moistened.
5. Press crumb mixture into pie dish. Freeze until firm (about 30 min)
6. Slice strawberries and arrange on top of crust.
1. Whisk sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt in a heavy medium sauce pan.
2. Whisk egg yolks to form a thick paste. Gradually whisk in milk, then whisk over medium high heat until mixture thickens.
3. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and mix until smooth. Add vanilla.
4. Cool for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
5. Pour filling over strawberries. Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours.
Couple tips: The filling mixture is enough for two pies. I suggest either cutting the recipe in half or making two pies. Also, I think it needs more strawberries but that's just because the strawberries were so so good!
On a positive note, we won this week! While my dessert looked a mess, at least it was good and we won! See you next week in Atlanta!